Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Playing Catch Up-A Guide to My Xi'an

October 2

Finally I washed my clothes from the trip.
I was hanging clothes on my balcony when a bunch of Chinese sized bottle rockets were shot at me, exploding all around my balcony with me cowering behind the ledge trying to get back into my room.  Yet another confirmation that China and safety do not go hand in hand.
This is not even all of the clothes, i had socks laying in the sun inside my room and on the ledge of the balcony.

After laundry I set off on an adventure to document parts of Xi'an within walking distance.  Not all of these are from the same day.

My Shi Da Lu, there are cafes and little shops and small restaurants, and all sorts of interesting things on this little street like street vendor sushi.
 This is Chang An Lu, It's the major road going from north to south in Xi'an.  My campus is on the southern end of this road just before the area takes a turn for the residential.  There is everything on this road.  This is the road I walk on the most.
 This is my bank.
 This is a bar street.  At night it is a lot brighter, and it is covered in people that look a lot like prostitutes.  The first night in Xi'an, a Sunday night, my group visited this street and ended up at creepy hipster lesbian bar.
 This is a village just off of Chang An Lu, its got street food, stinky tofu, sketchy pool tables and dark alleys.
 This is my garbage man.  This is only the start of the day for him, those carts get piled high.
 This is the intersection I almost just got killed by a taxi at.  He had a red light if you would like to know, but I should have been more attentive I guess.  This entire walk is me heading north toward the city center.
 This is my book city and random Chinese guy.  This store is like three floors of book and other stuff that may or may not be interesting.  I bought Harry Potter here.
 This is a four sided walking bridge just before the year old Japanese ripped off and fake fashion district.

 This is my hole in the ground that has not changed since I got here.
 This is when I realized I had walked way too far away from campus and decided to turn back while at the same time crossing the street.
 This is a fake market I found randomly and now go to all the time for whatever reason.  Its rather filthy in there, lots of garbage all over and lots of young people.  It's also got a lot of the year old fake Japanese fashion for cheap.
 This is what I turned to after being harassed on the street by some guy who grabbed my arm and tried to pull me into a building.
 This is the walking bridge over Chang An Lu, it doubles as a market place, which makes it very crowded and annoying to cross sometimes.  This one is right near Shi Da Lu and my campus.
 This is looking south at the TV Tower over Chang An.
 That was the end of that day's walk so this stuff is just what i took pictures of next.  I'm sure you can guess...this is fake Dairy Queen.  It's in Xiao Zhai next to McDonalds.  Xiao Zhai is the place with the fashion and the four sided bridge.
 This is my breakfast.
 These are Funny Nipple Pops.
 This is Jeff and Cora posing in a park we found on campus.
 This is also on campus.
 This is the New West Gate of Shi Da, my university.  This red thing is the Chang An Hua, or the Xi'an flower.  It was the, like, mascot of Xi'an during the horticultural Expo, but now they have been taken away, and the saddest day of my life it was when he disappeared.
 Behind the hua.
 This is China showing its pride for National Holiday, which turned out to be China's birthday.  They got a week long holiday.  My group was the only group of people going to class that whole week.
 This is just inside the Next West Gate, back on campus, its a rock thingy.
 Campus
 Arch thingy on campus...
 This is at a odd exercise park just next to the hotel I live in.  They have a lot of these parks in China.  They arn't that fun...We were trying to figure out how to use all of these things and ended up asking a little boy how to use the stuff.  His father told us how and the boy demonstrated, here is Jeff showing off his knowledge.





 This is the corner near the pond.  The pink building is a dorm I think, the white building is the Cafeteria.  A little farther down the road is the Muslim Cafeteria.
 I walk this road every day to get to class.
 This is a garden.
 This is a persimon, you are not allowed to pick them, only watch them fall and splatter on the sidewalk, or have a bird try to knock one on your head.
 This is my endeavor of a life time.  I think I will go back to reading Chinese Harry Potter, because it is much more interesting.  Jeff and I entered into a contest, whoever could finish this first wins, we are both on page 8 and likely to stay there a while.
 This is my parking lot on Chang An Lu.  Be aware, the cars drive on the side walk so you are not even safe there.
I will post more when it is not 1 in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment